Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Optimism Diminishing Rapidly...

To get straight to the point, no gyprocking was done over the Christmas / New Year as promised. Not a single worker onsite :(

The optimism from our previous post has all but gone. We've come to the realisation that, when it comes to building, NOTHING goes according to plan. Don't expect much so when something does happen when it's supposed to, it will be a nice surprise!

Our SS is still on holiday but I sent him a text yesterday. I felt guilty contacting him on his break but he needs to know whats going on....or whats not going on!

To top off the lack of gyprocking, we received a call from Origin on the 30th letting us know that the solar panel system we ordered was not in stock and they were offering an alternate system so that our installation could go ahead on 4th January. What a load of rubbish! Where did our system (the one that was on the truck that broke down) go?? That issue aside, we decided to go ahead with the alternative just to get the damn thing installed. What do you think happened? I received a call yesterday advising that our installer had to cancel. Apparently he was sick. We've reschedules YET AGAIN for tomorrow between 2pm and 4pm. We wait with baited breath.....

7 comments:

  1. Oh Rachael.. that is not good news at all !!

    I totally agree that when it comes to building plans don't work and schedule's don't stand .. and you are at the mercy of some good some good tradies !!

    one of my co workers had origin booked in and had massive delays too.. at the end they rocked up and said that his roof cannot fit more than 3 panels !! (they had a look at the his house on google and designed a 2.5kw system that he paid a down payment for !!

    good luck with work starting straight after the break and let us know how the Solar install go ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael I hear ya! Although admitedly we have had a smattering of tradies at our place over the break - gyprock was supposed to start on 31st Dec after insulation went in on 30th. ha!
    Insulation was just finisehd today - on the 3rd day they have been on site and now we are told gyprock will start next Monday. I will believe it when I see it.

    At this rate handover will be right on the 32 week contract time - I was so hoping they would get their acts together and bring it in quicker :(

    Good luck for some trades on site soon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marlon - wow! Origins administration is shocking, hopefully the technical side of the business know what they're doing. Guess we'll find out tomorrow!

    Shayne - Believe it when you see it...I couldn't agree more! 32 week contact? Ours is 27, that's a pretty big difference considering we both have two storey. I'm quite sure we'll be going over that. Gee I can't wait to get out of this teeny unit. Our kids are desperate for some space and a backyard!! We won't know ourselves! Friends of ours recently moved into a big new home, they said it was like living in a hotel lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hotel...mmmm.. that sounds nice.. Can't wait to getOutOfTheseCrampedConditions....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is terrible!

    I am so glad that you have posted images of your build so far! THANKS!

    My husband and I are building the 38 Impression with contemporary facade (only at waiting for plans stage) and we have only seen one so far - we have been scouting the various new neighborhoods looking for them everywhere!

    Yours looks great! I LOVE the colourbond roof, is it a big upgrade? I have already added on too many upgrades I don't think my husband would let me get that too, unless it isn't too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cramped alright - we are living with the inlaws (husbands parents..) - so thats them, us and our two year old, plus our two dogs all squished in together - CANNOT wait to be in our home - its going to feel even more spacious after living here :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kahell - We hadn't seen any contemporary facades IRL so went completely off plan...glad we did :) The colourbond is about a $5K upgrade can you believe. We both loved it so gave up a few other upgrades.

    Shayne - eeeek!! I feel for you. Bring on handover day!!!

    ReplyDelete